Wood Burning fireplaces are very common. Todays models are designed to squeeze every BTU they can out of a piece of wood which may save you a lot of money in heating your home. They can be typical masonry fireplaces with a hearth and mantle or can be a free standing wood stove.
- Fuel is typically inexpensive. Especially if you can acquire it for free.
- Fuel type can heat an entire house easily (2000+ sq. feet)
- Provides a great atmosphere. Everyone enjoys sitting around a crackling fire.
- Acquiring fuel can be a lot of work and a dirty job if done yourself.
- Potential for insects in wood pile.
- Wood takes up a lot of space and must be kept dry.
- Wood stoves are not efficient compared to other types and run at around 60% efficiency.